Search This Blog

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Mad Max: Fury Road

directed by George Miller 
[filmography: The Mad Max Universe]

written by George Miller, Brendan McCarthy [writing debut] & Nick Lathouris [writing debut]

starring  [The Dark Knight Rises (2012), Inception (2010)]  ,  and Hugh Keays-Byrne as Immortan Joe

ENJOYMENT: **** (out of 4)
"Favorite so far this year"

Going in, we were told by some critics that this was the best action film of all time. How would that be possible? When I first saw the previews I wasn't even sure it looked good at all or if I'd even see it, let alone have it be on some list of bests. However, after seeing it ascend to one of the best reviewed movies on Rotten Tomatoes and elsewhere, I had to give a try. Long story short: the new Mad Max is up there with one of the best-looking, most exhilarating and unbelievable action films I've ever seen. There – I agree with many of the critics. Charlize Theron is a force of nature and Tom Hardy is perfect in another strong role after Bane in The Dark Knight Rises. Also, I haven't talked to anyone who's seen it who hasn't mentioned how hot and fun Nicholas Hoult was in the film. The director George Miller, who directed the previous Mad Max films, was given $150 million budget that was undoubtably deemed a gamble by many, and he made something very special. With relatively few special effects, little dialogue and non-stop action, Miller succeeded in making one of the coolest films I've ever seen. Even if this isn't your genre, or you think you wouldn't like it, give it a try. I have yet to meet a single person who hasn't loved it. See it already.

Other ratings: IMDB (8.4/10, #84 on Top 250 of All Time), Rotten Tomatoes (98%)

No comments:

Post a Comment