Search This Blog

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Golden Globe Noms

    Although I don't always agree with winners or nominations in certain categories at The Golden Globes, I still respect them.  They have honored some great talent in the past that the Oscars have missed, and they don't always seem to just pick the most popular.  However, this year the Best Picture - Musical/Comedy category is laughable:
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Burlesque
  • The Kid Are All Right
  • Red
  • The Tourist  
    The only great, award-worthy movie in there is The Kids Are All Right.  And god I hope it wins, or else I will just chalk this category up to being nothing better or more respectable than the People's Choice Awards.  Seriously though, minus The Kids Are All Right and Red, the other three added together barely break a score of 100 on Rotten Tomatoes' critic compilation.  Alice in Wonderland was terrible!  I don't say that about a lot of movies, but I mean it for this.  Also, Johnny Depp did not need to be nominated twice for Best Actor, and Jake Gyllenhaal once, all for crappy roles.  Though, to be fair, I didn't see the The Tourist or Love and Other Drugs, and maybe they were impressive performances, what do I know?  I suppose I understand that movies are about mere entertainment value for some people, and not all people are into what I consider great.  But the thing that irks me here is that there were other amazing comedies this year that were left out, and great actors in these comedies.  Films like I Love You Phillip Morris, Another Year, Greenberg, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, or even Jackass 3D.  I Love You Phillip Morris was Jim Carrey's best performance, comedic or otherwise, in my opinion, and Jim Broadbent, Ben Stiller and Michael Cera were pretty great also.  One last note: The Tourist was intended to be a romantic thriller--maybe that was what the Hollywood Foreign Press thought was so funny.

So these are who and what I think will win:

It will be The Social Network's year.  Maybe not for Jesse Eisenberg's performance, though it was amazing, but I think the movie will win most categories it's nominated in.

  • Best Motion Picture - Drama:  The Social Network
  • Best Motion Picture - Musical/Comedy:  The Kids Are All Right (which is worthy of being called "best picture," I have to say.)
  • Best Actor - Drama:  Colin Firth for The King's Speech
  • Best Actress - Drama:  Natalie Portman for Black Swan
  • Best Actor - Comedy:  Though I don't personally think so, Johnny Depp for Alice in Wonderland
  • Best Actress - Comedy:  Annette Bening for The Kids Are All Right
  • Best Supporting Actor:  Christian Bale for The Fighter
  • Best Supporting Actress:  Amy Adams for The Fighter
  • Best Director:  David Fincher for The Social Network
  • Best Screenplay:  Aaron Sorkin for The Social Network
  • Best Animated Film:  Toy Story 3
  • Best Foreign Language Film:  I Am Love

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so I was about about a three of them, but I got most of them right! This last year was sort of an easy year to predict, as there were very obvious front runners in most categories--the categories I got right.

    I did predict Johnny Depp's win for Alice in Wonderland wrong, which I'm please about, and I also missed the Supporting Actress category by a hair. I was going to guess Melissa Leo too, because I know she's everyone's favorite this year, but I love Amy Adams so much that I think there was some critical bias. That, and I believe Amy Adams has proved herself enough over the last few years to be worthy of awards; I'm kind of tired of one-hit wonders winning these awards, when the more consistent amazing actor gets snubbed. The Academy Awards are definitely famous for this, and it kills me sometimes. Amy Adams better win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress--I tell you!

    Lastly, I missed the foreign language film category; however, I shouldn't have even voted considering I had only seen one of the five films nominated. I only saw I Am Love, and it wasn't even drop-dead amazing anyway--though it was extremely beautiful, especially the music and cinematography. I recommend seeing it if you're interested. You may love it.

    ReplyDelete