Search This Blog

Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Ghost Writer (on DVD)


 The Ghost Writer (2010)
directed by Roman Polanski
[filmography: Oliver Twist (2004), The Pianist (2002), The Ninth Gate (1999), Chinatown (1974), Rosemary's Baby (1968)]
written for the screen by Robert Harris [who also wrote book, The Ghost, which the film is based on] and Roman Polanski  
  starring Ewan McGregor, Pierce Brosnan, Kim Cattrall, Tom Wilkinson, and Olivia Williams
ENJOYMENT: **1/2 (out of 5)
"Didn't like it so much, but on the fence"


   I was excited to see this film for obvious reasons: Roman Polanski, Ewan McGregor, and the great reviews.  However, I waited for it to be released on DVD, as there were no award shows coming up and I wasn't quite convinced enough to spend 10 bucks.  So, I ordered The Ghost Writer on Netflix as soon as it came available and watch it to some delight.  Here is what I thought. In a nut-shell, I thought it was average, which was a bit disappointing.  However, critics liked it, so if you are at all interested, just see it--it wasn't terrible or anything.  

PROS:
-The cinematography was absolutely gorgeous, encapsulating the gloomy and mysterious feel of the movie's plot.  
-The opening scenes set the film up for what I thought could be a Da Vinci Code-esque (book, not the movie) or Shutter Island type mystery, which roused great interest in me.  The movie opened with a set of peculiar circumstances, and continued for about a half an hour setting a scene that could quite possibly make for an interesting and surprising mystery.
-Ewan McGregor and Pierce Brosnan were great, though not spectacular or anything, and Kim Cattrall was wonderful in a serious role.
-I enjoy mysteries--Silence of the Lambs, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Witness for the Prosecution, The Usual Suspects, etc.--so I got really excited to see what would happen in this movie, considering the specific circumstances.

PRO/CON:
-I kind of enjoyed the real-life parallels with current events, like a nation's leader being accused of war crimes and illegal interrogation techniques and treatment of terror suspects.  However, this also contributed to making the film feel trite and only served as a novelty at first.

CONS:
-The number one thing that I didn't like about this film was that it was trite.  I went in expecting a kind of film I'd never seen before, or that I hadn't seen for a long time, but it turned out being just like Inside Man (2006), or something else that had a lot of build up but little pay off. Nothing that I wanted to happen happened, and the things that did turned out to be disappointing.
-Olivia Williams (An Education (2009), and The Sixth Sense (1999)), who played the Prime Minister, Pierce Brosnan's, wife, was horribly miscasted. She was a suspicious character from the start, a bit awkward, and there was nothing likable or sexy about her.  She was the number two thing I didn't like about this movie.
-The ending was... well, I don't much more than I already have so I'll leave it at this.  The ending was a let down.
-Well, come to think about it, everything leading up to the ending was a let down too.  In fact this movie was one big let down.  Other than the few aforementioned pros.


AWARD PREDICTIONS: Best Cinematography at the Oscars, and nothing else :-)
     

No comments:

Post a Comment