Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part I


THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY PART I (2014)
directed by Francis Lawrence
[director filmography: Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Water for Elephants (2011), I Am Legend (2007), Constantine (2005)]

written by Peter Craig [The Town (2010)], Danny Strong [Lee Daniels' The Butler, Game Change]

starring Jennifer Lawrence [Oscar Winner for Best Actress in Silver Linings Playbook], Josh Hutcherson [Hunger Games movies, The Kids Are All Right (2010)], Liam Hemsworth [Hunger Games movies], Woody Harrelson [TV Series "True Detective", No Country for Old Men (2007), The People vs. Larry Flynt (1996), Natural Born Killers (1994)], Donald Sutherland [Hunger Games movies, Ordinary People (1980), MASH (1970), Phillip Seymour Hoffman [Oscar Winner for Best Actor in Capote], Julianne Moore [The Kids Are All Right (2010), Children of Men (2006), The Hours (2002), Magnolia (1999), Boogie Nights (1997)]

ENJOYMENT: *** (out of 5)
"Falls short, but you still have to see it"

I was one among probably 100 million people around the world who was looking forward to the most recent installment of The Hunger Games series. As a result, I doubt I was the only one who was pretty disappointed. The first two films were fantastic, the first one being a surprise to me because I didn't read the books or believe the hype. In fact, I didn't even watch the first movie until it was streaming on Netflix, but, of course, instantly became super excited about the upcoming sequels. The second installment, Catching Fire, somehow beat the first in my opinion and was a complete and welcomed surprise. So, coming into this third film, my expectations were huge. I saw the early tepid reviews, I tried to check my expectations, but I couldn't help it--I was disappointed. 

Supposedly Mockingjay Part I follows the first half of the book pretty closely, but my major criticism then is that they shouldn't have split the last book into two movies. Or, to make it a complete standalone film, they should've added a storyline or some extra action sequences. It tried to pull a Harry Potter on the last installment to make an extra billion dollars, but instead they should've done what The Hobbit did to beef up the story in order to give the audience something for their money. Despite being let down, and despite most of the major scenes being in the preview, this was still a necessary viewing. We care about these characters, the storyline is still moving forward and you know I'm still stoked for the last film. For these reasons, and for seeing the brilliant acting of Jennifer Lawrence, a welcome to Julianne Moore, one of the last performances by Phillip Seymour Hoffman, eye candy from the rest of the cast and to keep up with the story, you still have to see it. So go ahead and get it over with.

OSCAR NOMINATIONS: Ha.

Other ratings: IMDB (7.2/10), Rotten Tomatoes (66%)

No comments:

Post a Comment