Search This Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

Somewhere

SOMEWHERE (2010)
written and directed by Sofia Coppola 
[filmography: Marie Antoinette (2006), Lost in Translation (2003), The Virgin Suicides (1999)]

starring Stephen Dorff, Elle Fanning, and Chris Pontius

ENJOYMENT: ***** (out of 5)
"Loved it"


I was not expecting to love Somewhere.  I was merely seeing it because I appreciate Sofia Copolla's style of filmmaking.  I love her slow-moving, almost monotonous scenes, where nothing really happens to the naked eye, but a message is still being conveyed.  Now, personally, I loved Lost in Translation.  In fact, it's one of my favorite films of all time.  However, Marie Antoinette was sort of a let down as far as overall quality of the film is concerned, despite having some of the most amazing hair and costume design ever in a film (as far as I'm concerned).  But Somewhere is a little different.  Its style is a lot like Copolla's previous films, if not more Sofia-esque than even the predecessors, but for some reason, I cared a lot about this story.  It's truly heartfelt, and conveys its message extremely well.  And Elle Fanning is a doll.  All in all, Somewhere is a contender for my top 10 for last year, though I know not a lot of others will feel the same.  Screw it, I can love films that not everyone loves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment